When preparing for the book club, I was not able to find discussion questions online. So I wrote up my own, and now I am sharing it for others.
"Windfall" by Jennifer E. Smith Discussion Questions
1. Can you relate to how Teddy reacted when he won the lottery?
2. What would you do if you won the lottery?
3. Did you understand why Alice didn't want to take any money from Teddy? Would you feel the same?
4. How did Alice's background contribute to her decision?
5. How did Teddy's background contribute to how he reacted to winning the lottery?
6. Why was Alice afraid to tell Teddy how she feels?
7. Were there signs that Teddy felt the same way?
8. What would you do if you were in love with your best friend?
9. What were some of the good things that happened to Teddy after winning?
10. What other good things can you imagine happening after winning?
11. What were some of the bad things that happened to Teddy?
12. Can you think of some other bad things that could happen?
13. Do you think the money changed Teddy? How?
14. What about Alice? Did she change? Was it because of the money or something else?
15. What about Leo? What was his role in the story?
16. Can you think of some other ways this story could have ended? What would have happened if Alice took the money? What if Teddy didn't have romantic feelings for her? What if Teddy's ticket didn't win?