Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Summer Reading List

A cold, rainy day in April is as good as time as any to create a summer reading list. The last of my long list of library requests came in today. It is "Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman" by Robert K. Massie. I requested it in January. Now that I hold this tome in my hands, I can see why I had to wait so long. It is 500 pages with small, compact type. Although it is a new book, the library gives patrons a month with this one rather than the usual 14 days. I will probably need a month. I read relatively slowly.

It looks good though. I only read the cover copy, and the readability of the voice and tone made the massiveness of this book instantly more manageable.

Before I start reading that, I need my summer reading plan. These are the books I have on my summer reading list. Many of them are YA. This list is a work in progress and I am looking for more suggestions!


The Year the Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice

This book looks filled with imperfect characters with a theme of forgiveness. It is hard to forgive people who have wronged you, especially for an 11 year old girl whose father has gambled away her future. Molly O'Neill at HarperCollins suggested this book in an interview about great middle grade fiction. http://www.dystel.com/2012/04/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-middle-grade-the-finale/

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I am not a fan of dystopian worlds. Well, that is not always true. I did like the Hunger Games trilogy. I have heard that level of buzz about this book. Seriously. I am going to read it just to see what the fuss is about. Stay tuned to hear my thoughts on it when I get to it. 

This was recommended to me by my favorite Canadian reader. It sounds like an extraordinary book about a child of two teenagers, half orphaned, coming of age in a haze of drugs, foster care and juvenile detention. 

I need to catch up on these lauded tales from Jeffrey Eugenides.


What is on your summer reading list? Please share. I need some more ideas. 


3 comments:

  1. I will have to check some of these out! I read Angelfall by Susan Ee which got tons of buzz. Started out strong, and the writing FELL APART about 3/4 through it. It was like one whole chapter didn't get edited!

    Read that one at your own risk.

    I have The Emperor of all Maladies on my list. Not a fun one I'm sure, but I'm going to do it anyway.

    And Zeitoun by Dave Eggers.

    Off to check yours out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Divergent and thought it was interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read The Book of Negroes and although the themes are sad, there is so much hope, I found I couldn't stop reading. If you've not already read it, I would highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete