Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Soundtrack of the Story


I have recently heard that novels come with soundtracks these days. They aren’t widely publicized, but can be found on blogs and other places in the internet world.

I don’t typically write with music. I write amidst chaos. If it isn’t the kids, it is my half deaf husband watching a movie at 10 decibels beyond ear splitting in the next room.

Maybe a little music would be nice.

“Divided Moon” takes place in the 90s. Its readers may be too young to remember “the grunge” years. They might like the music. I think Kurt Cobain (“Smells Like Teen Spirit”) needs to make this playlist. MC Hammer’s “U Can’t Touch This” seems fitting in parts. Prince needs to be there too, along with some soulful songs by Sinead O’Connor.



I am not sure how a soundtrack works for a novel. When I think of a soundtrack, I think movie. However, I often hear the book is better than the movie, so maybe making a soundtrack before selling movie rights is even better.

Do you read with music in your head? Does a soundtrack enhance the reading experience?



1 comment:

  1. When I read the book Wicked I listened to the Broadway musical soundtrack and it was really cool. I am a music lover, so I could definetly see how making a soundtrack to fit the time a story is set in, or to go with feel of a book would enhance the reading experience.

    ReplyDelete