Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Why Stars Matter

I spent much of August on a lounge chair at midnight, staring at the sky. News reports promised the Perseids meteor shower, which peaked during a new moon phase, would be more visible and more amazing than ever.

Well, they weren't. I saw a meteor or two, but then there were several cloudy nights in a row where I couldn't see a single star. Then I gave up.

Still, it was the best writing time I had in awhile. Perhaps it was the fresh air, perhaps it was being alone with my thoughts staring at nothing for a chunk of time. It reminded me that as important as it is to get the butt in the chair to do the work, it is equally important to stare into space with the promise of seeing something incredible to fuel the brain and get creativity in motion.


No comments:

Post a Comment