Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Christmas List

When you are a kid, the Christmas list includes all the things you wish to receive, the hottest toys, a pony, a jetpack. Now that I am older, my Christmas list is something different, it is all the things I have to do before the December 25 deadline. One is as far fetched as the other.

I typically like to do lists. I make them all the time to help me remember to do things, like pay a bill or renew my library card. Sometimes they get pretty long. And sometimes I forget to put things on them, and then I have to add to the list. I also like deadlines rather than leaving a task open ended. Deadlines fuel the fire to get projects done. Since to do lists and deadlines, and the variations that can happen to them, are commonplace in my life, my adult version of the Christmas list should be no problem. So why am I feeling so nervous 9 days before Christmas?

The answer is probably in the expectations. Although I am not sure how giving someone a promise note that a gift has not yet been delivered by Amazon is worse than telling my boss I can't get a project done on time is a mystery to me. I blame Santa, and all his miracles and doing the impossible in one night and having only gifts handmade by elves under his supervision that he personally delivers for millions of children all over the world. That is a hard act to follow, being a normal adult. I don't have magic elves!


No comments:

Post a Comment