Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Book Review: The Five Flavors of Dumb

I kicked off my summer with a rocking YA novel, "The Five Flavors of Dumb," by Antony John. The premise of the story is the reason I had to read it. High school senior Piper Vaughn finds herself as manager for a rock band. Piper is a good high school student, who steers clear of trouble, does well in her classes, has few friends, and she is deaf. Before opening page one, I am wondering how she is going to manage a rock band when she can't hear the music.

The book does not disappoint. I can't say it had me on the edge of my seat, but it was a fun read with some nods to the rich music history of Seattle, including Jimi Hendrix and the grunge era Nirvana. It also shows that you don't have to hear the music to feel its power. Now I want to listen to "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment