Thursday, January 5, 2017

Taking a Leap of Faith - Are You Making a Good Decision?

Every once in a while, you make a leap, not sure of where you are going to land. How do you know if you are making the right decision?

You don't. Nobody knows what is going to happen, and if 2016 didn't teach us that, I don't know what can. I don't know about you, but I read all the analyses, the polls, listened to the experts, yet the results of November 2016 left me gobsmacked. You don't know what will happen. You do the best with the information you have now.

Follow your heart, or your gut, whatever speaks to you. Nobody can tell you if you are doing the right thing, unless they will live the consequences. Even then, they might have their own agenda in mind, or not fully think through how it affects you. This is where you have to rely on what feels right in your heart, or your gut, or your conscience. One of these should give you an indication if the choice is right for you.

Consider your long range plans. When assessing a decision, I often look at how it affects me now. How my daily routines will be disrupted. What changes now. My view can lack long range goals, like how I want my life to took 10 years from now, or 15, or 20. It is important to look at the long range effects when making a big decision. When deciding between two jobs, this was helpful. While one was inconvenient now, making it a poor immediate choice, I could see myself being there for the long haul, even retiring there. While the other job, while convenient now, did not offer long range opportunities.

Remove fear from the equation. When making a decision, fear is the what often holds us back. Take it out of the equation. If you weren't afraid, what would you do?

Know your core. Dig deep to find what makes you tick, what motivates you, what you love and what drains you. If this opportunity feeds that, it is right. They say if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life. If the opportunity you are debating qualifies as something you love, something that feeds your soul, that matters.

This month, I am taking a leap and changing my life. It will be an adjustment for me and my family, but I hope it will lead to better things. I have some worries, as I am going into unknown territory for me, but I am trusting my gut, my long range plans, my unknowing of what will happen and trusting the universe is bringing me what I need. Bless you all on your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment